Our nation Nigeria is facing a great trial today. There is hardly any day we do not hear or read about how people are killed, kidnapped or raped. The nation is facing the trauma of over 200 teenage girls abducted in their dormitory in April 14 this year by an Islamic sect, Boko Haram. All attempts made to release these girls are yet to fully yield results. In addition to this, several people are killed and their property looted on a weekly basis by this same sect.
What we need most in Nigeria today is peace. What exactly is peace? Peace can be defined as the absence of war. Peace is freedom from disturbance; tranquility. Synonyms of peace include: calm, restfulness, quietness, silence and stillness.
I want us to note the following facts, about the world we live in today, as far as peace is concerned:
In spite of all the good peace treaties, Society of International Law, London states that:
*There have been only 268 years of peace in the last 4,000 years.
*The continent of Europe alone have fought 286 wars in the last 300 years.
Historians from England, Germany, Egypt and India with the former president of the Norwegian Academy of Science arrived at these startling information that since 3600 B.C.
* The world has experienced only 292 years of peace.
* There have been 14,531 large and small scale wars during which 3.64 billion people have been killed.
* The value of the property destroyed during these wars can pay for a golden belt round the whole world that is as wide as 97.2 miles and 33 feet thick. What a colossal waste!
The Personnel Journal had this incredible statistics that:
* The world has enjoyed only 8% of peace since the beginning of recorded history.
* There have been over 8,000 peace treaties that have been made and yet the world has enjoyed only 286 years of peace since 3,530 years of recorded history.
Isaiah 9:6 says "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
If there is anything the world needs today, is peace. How then can we have peace? Peace cannot be achieved in the absence of the Creator of the Universe. The Bible tells us that all things were created through Him and for Him. It is therefore impossible for us to have peace without Jesus Christ. The Bible calls Him the Prince of Peace. True and lasting peace can only come from Him.
Ven. S. O. Makun
Page 80 of 85