THE POTENCY OF THE WORD OF GOD
We use the noun potency when you're talking about the strength of something. You could refer to the potency of a drug or the potency of a political leader. Potency is the power of something to influence or make an impression.
The word of God can be taken in two dimensions,
1. We believe the Bible to be the verbally inspired Word of God without error in the original writings, and the supreme and final authority in doctrine and practice.”
2. Hebrews 1:1-2 He spoke His Word through the prophets. But his final and most complete revelation of Himself is in His Son.
What are the pointers to the potency of the word of God?
• The word of God is supernatural and living; it has power to cause change and to make things happen. Gen 1:3
• In God’s word we have embedded God’s life. Life is the animating factor in a thing; there are several types of life –. The highest form of life is the Zoe life; it’s the life that animates God, and the word of God carries Zoe. John 11: 43 -44 Lazarus came back to life when Jesus spoke .
• God describes the potency of His word in symbolic terms to explain its potency
Jeremiah 23:29 as fire and as a hammer. Fire never leaves anything it comes in contact with the same, it either consumes it or refines it; also, the hammer can be used to smash rocks, so the word of God will smash any obstacles in the way of man’s destiny.
Hebrews 4:12. For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
A mirror to reflect
22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Psalms 119:105 “Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
• God’s word carries God’s characteristics; it’s eternal, saving and creative.
It’s a new season! It’s time for a shift to a new level! New revelations, new testimonies! To access revelation, pray, meditate on the word of God and listen to His prophet. When revelations come, we have got to believe, confess the word and act on the revelation, to experience the manifestation of the revelation.
Very Rev. Opeyemi O. Awe