Today is Mother's Day. This is a day set aside to honour and appreciate your mother or any one who has and is playing a motherly role in your life. Such a person must have made a great sacrifice in ensuring that you are what you are today. It's not possible to repay your mother for the great role she has paid in your life. It's very possible to put a smile on her face always and especially in a day as this.
In 2 Timothy 1:5 Paul says: "I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well." Here we learnt how Timothy became a Christian through the faith of his mother and that of his grand mother.
Timothy did not just hear the Scriptures preached to him, he saw his mother and grand mother live and practice the faith in Christ they preached. And this life in Christ, made Timothy a great instrument in God's hand. He was later entrusted with the task of pastoring a church. He was also charged with the responsibility that includes appointing leaders and also putting things in order in the church.
As you think about your mother today, I want to share with you seven ways you can appreciate her.
· PRAY AND SHARE: Pray for her. Share the word of God with her. Encourage her from time to time with words from the Holy Scriptures.
· CALL AND VISIT: Call her today-if you have not done that, preferably through video call. Let her see your face and that of her loved ones like her grand children, son or daughter in law. Pay her a visit, if she lives near you.
· GIFT: Buy her a gift, no matter how small. If you are far away, you can send her money. Pay it into her account.
· REMEMBER SHE IS YOUR FIRST AND BEST TEACHER: The only woman on earth that will not compete with you is your mother. She is the only woman that will always want you to be better than her. Carefully read Proverbs 1:8"Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching, ..." The first school you attended is the one in your home. Your first teacher is your mother. She taught you so many things too numerous to mention. If you want to honour your mother, remember those teachings and obey them provided they are not contrary to the Scriptures.
· FAITH IN GOD THROUGH JESUS CHRIST: Be a Christian, no matter the challenges you are facing. Christianity will make you live a life of integrity. Paul talks about the "sincere faith" practiced by Timothy. The greatest thing you can do for a Christian mother is to be a Christian any where you are. Live the life of Christ. Let the beauty of Jesus Christ be seen in you always. Pay the price of having the marks of Christ seen in you. It's worth it.
· DO NOT FOLLOW, KEEP OR HAVE BAD FRIENDS: There is a great saying that "birds of the same feather flock together." Another relevant saying is "show me your friends and I will tell you whom you are." From Proverbs 1:10 we are told: "My son, if sinners entice you, do not consent." There is hardly any child who is not told by his or her mother to keep away from bad friends. There is a bad friend at every point where you took a bad and sinful decision that led to a regrettable action. If you had avoided such a friend, you would have been saved the pains you are going through now or the ones you went through before now. Beloved, keep away from friends that will not lift you up.
· REMEMBER YOUR HOME AND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM: Always remember to do what will lift up your family name. Whatever you do will either depreciate you and your family, or it will appreciate you and your family. Nobody will build your home for you. Always be a child of good behaviour. Be a child of integrity.
In conclusion, remember these words from Colossians 3:17 "And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him."
Ven. Solomon O. Makun